Ravintoaiheinen kysymysten äiti

Seuraa 
Viestejä8560
Liittynyt16.3.2005

Kysymys on kenties vähäpätöinen mutta maailmanlaajuinen.

Eli avokadon siemen. Tuo lähes pingispallon kokoinen kummajainen tässä. Se heitetään käsittääkseni pois ellei joku siitä kasvata ruukkukasvia. Pitkää varsihuiteloa, joka sitten katkeaa.

Eli onko tuollaisella siemenellä ravintokäyttöä? Voisiko sen murustaa mantelimurusten korvikkeeksi? Vai valmistetaanko siitä nuolimyrkkyä ja se aiheuttaisi vatsanväänteitä? Kitkerää?

Asia on tärkeä, koska suuria siemeniä mahdollisesti tuhlataan miljardi kappaletta vuorokaudessa.

Hiirimeluexpertti. Majoneesitehtailija. Luonnontieteet: Maailman suurin uskonto. Avatar on halkaistu tykin kuula

Kommentit (14)

Vierailija

En ole koskaan saanut sitä kiveä kasvamaan, vaikka jokaisesta avokadosta olen yrittänyt. Maku on kitkerä ja rakenteelta se on niin kovaa, ettei sillä siemenellä tee mitään.

Vierailija

Avokadon siemenöljyä käytetään joissain ihovoiteissa. Sillä saattaa siis olla ihoa hoitavia ominaisuuksia.

Vierailija

Olen kasvatellut niitä silloin ja tällöin, mutten varmaan vuotta (kahta) pitempään, eli kuolleet ovat tai lahjoitettu pois, en muista.
Miten se meni, esim. hammastikut (3) siemeneen kiinni ja se puoliksi veteen uoptettuna, niin alkaa alkupyrähdys settii ja sit multaan puoliks kai en muistakaa yhtää, nopeesti ottaa korkeutta ainaki kuumassa auringossaan.

Rotille (lemmikki) kans antanu ravinnonehdokkeeksi, muistaaakseni ehkä ovat ainakin vähän maistelleet, ehkä eivät.

Paul M
Seuraa 
Viestejä8560
Liittynyt16.3.2005

Lintulaudalle? Pähkinää tuo kaiketi eniten vastaa.

Hiirimeluexpertti. Majoneesitehtailija. Luonnontieteet: Maailman suurin uskonto. Avatar on halkaistu tykin kuula

Paul M
Seuraa 
Viestejä8560
Liittynyt16.3.2005

Varmasti pettua parempaa ainakin ravintoarvoltaan.

Vierailija
Paul M
Lintulaudalle? Pähkinää tuo kaiketi eniten vastaa.

"The bark, twigs, leaves of the avocado tree, and the skin and pit of the avocado fruit contain a toxin called persin. Persin in avocados is dangerous to birds and to other animals including dogs, cats, rabbits and horses. There may be other enzymes/chemicals in the avocado that may cause an animal’s body to fail at processing proteins, also. Reactions noted in birds are heart rhythm problems, heart failure, breathing difficulties and sudden death. What is positively known is there is documented evidence that the bark, twigs, skin and pit can be toxic. Warnings have been issued about feeding avocado to parrots since the 1940s."

http://www.goodstuffbirdfood.com/?p=80

Vierailija
Ataraksia

Rotille (lemmikki) kans antanu ravinnonehdokkeeksi, muistaaakseni ehkä ovat ainakin vähän maistelleet, ehkä eivät.

Rotille ei saa antaa näitä ruokia:

* suklaa/karkit

*sipsit

*rasvaset, mausteiset ja liian suolaiset ruuat

*avocado

*sitrushedelmiä

* makkaraa tai muuta roskaruokaa

* pilaantunutta ruokaa

http://zetasrotat.nettisivu.org/lemmikkina-kesyrotta/

The effect of various avocado oils on liver metabolism was studied in growing female rats. The rats were fed diets containing 10% (w/w) avocado oil for 4 wk. In comparison with rats fed refined avocado oil obtained from cored fruit by centrifugal separation, rats fed unrefined avocado oil obtained by organic solvent extraction from intact fruit, or its unsaponifiable components, showed a significant increase in total liver lipogenesis as well as in phospholipid and triglyceride synthesis. Rats fed avocado-seed oil exhibited enhanced [1-14C]acetate incorporation into total liver lipids but showed the same distribution of label in the three main lipid classes as that of rats fed refined avocado oil. In addition, a significant reduction of triglycerides and protein content of plasma very-low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein fractions was observed in rats fed avocado-seed oil as compared with rats fed refined oil. Electron micrographs suggested that the alterations in hepatic lipogenesis are related to the marked proliferation of the smooth endoplasmic reticulum, which is known to be associated with induction of enzymes involved with lipid biosynthesis. The differences between the animals fed seed oil and those fed the unrefined oils, in the distribution of label within the main lipid classes, indicate that more than one factor is involved in the alterations caused by these oils.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6P-479DCPV-3...

RE: Dangerous avocado?
avocado is a great food for fattening up ratties, and is one of the ultimate favorite foods of ratties, BUT do be careful with the flesh right by the pit. I don't know, but that's just what I've heard, and it sorta makes sense. It may be that the amount of flesh they get that's not good is so minimal it isn't too bad...? I dunno. I'm just careful.

http://www.ratpalace.com/phpBB2/dangerous-avocado-t22245.html

Paul M
Seuraa 
Viestejä8560
Liittynyt16.3.2005

Siis jotain häikkää on avocadossa...

Eipä syötetä elukoille nuolimyrkkyä.

Kiitos.

Vierailija

"Does leaving the avocado pit in the guacamole keep the stuff from turning brown?

June 7, 2005
Dear Straight Dope:

Some guacamole recipes say to leave the avocado pit in the bowl with the guacamole to prevent the guacamole from turning brown. Does this work, and if so, how?

— Nicki

Does it work? Yes. Does it work for some really cool and exotic reason? No.

Most fruits and vegetables change color when their flesh is exposed to the air due to oxidation--that is, reaction with oxygen in the air. Some fruits and vegetables, such as the avocado, are more susceptible than others because they contain an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase. This enzyme works on phenolic compounds in the flesh of the avocado, changing their chemical structure and thus their color.

So there are two culprits in this browning process--the enzyme in the avocado, and the oxygen in the air. Logic suggests that if the avocado pits prevents browning, one of two things must be happening: Either the avocado pit chemically changes the guacamole, or it prevents oxygen from getting to the guacamole in the first place. I originally proposed to Ed that I do some hard-core experimentation with multiple guacamole preparations, but I was talked out of it, and referred instead to the book The Curious Cook by Harold McGee. McGee did experiments with guacamole and avocado pits and discovered that the secret was simply that the avocado pit physically blocked air from oxidizing the guacamole. In fact, the best way to prevent oxygen intrusion is to take plastic wrap and seal it over the guacamole, pressing it down into the surface of the food so no air is trapped above the surface.

You can attack the other culprit, the enzyme, in a couple of ways. Refrigeration will slow down the action of the enzyme, but the whole fruit should not be refrigerated at very low temperatures, as the avocado is very susceptible to chilling injury. Boiling can also be used to slow down or stop the enzyme action, but I don't advise boiling your guacamole--for one thing, the tannins in it are reportedly bitter when cooked. Since the enzyme doesn't like acidic conditions, adding something acidic to the guacamole such as lime or lemon juice will slow the reaction of the enzyme with oxygen. Both lime and lemon juice have pH values that are fairly acidic, being between pH 2.0 and 3.0, so choose whichever better suits your recipe. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will also help to slow down oxidation (note 1), and since lemon and lime juice both contain large amounts of it, they seem ideally suited for guacamole, which might explain why they appear in many guacamole recipes.

Other chemicals (such as sulfites) and other methods for preparation (such as freeze-drying and high hydrostatic pressure) are sometimes used in industrial applications, but for the standard kitchen, your best bet is to add some lemon or lime juice, and judiciously apply plastic wrap.

Note 1. Avocados already contain some ascorbic acid, but adding a moderate amount to the guacamole can help to slow browning.

References

"Keeping Freshness in Fresh-Cut Produce," USDA Agricultural Research Magazine, February, 1998.

Lidia Dorantes, PhD., Lidia Parada, MSc., Alicia Ortiz, PhD. Post Harvest Compendium, Chapter 30 Avocado: Post-Harvest Operation, report for the Information Network on Post-Harvest Operations, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee, 1984.

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore by Harold McGee, 1992.

— Una"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2210/does-leaving-the-avocado-p...

"Re: eating avocado pit Mon, May 18, 2009 - 6:21 PM
here is what Victoria boutanko has to say:

Avocado Pit in Green Smoothies

Avocado

Last summer at the Raw & Living Spirit Retreat, my friend Gabrielle Chavez introduced me to a green smoothie made with an avocado pit blended as a part of its recipe, Since then I have been experimenting with adding avocado seeds to my smoothies, and now I use them frequently. Here is some information that I gathered about the nutritional properties of avocado seed.

* The total antioxidant capacity and phenolic content of edible portions and seeds of avocado, jackfruit, longan, mango and tamarind were studied. … The seeds showed a much higher antioxidant activity … than the edible portions. The contribution of all the fruit seed fractions to the total antioxidant activity … was always more than 70%. Source

* “Avocado seed contains relatively low amounts of calcium and magnesium, somewhat higher amounts of phosphorus, and high amounts of potassium.” Source

* The seed of the avocado contains tannins, and these make it bitter or "puckery" to the taste. And some of the tannins can be mildly toxic, though an individual would have to eat a lot to see any effects, unless that individual had a food allergy. Source
* Dr. Tom Wu: When I eat the avocado I always eat the seed. It is packed with very good nutrients. It has the life force. It is a very high Qi food! It’s also the highest in soluble fiber. This soluble fiber binds to the fat and excess cholesterol. Then we can lower cholesterol and improve heart function naturally. We can improve the blood circulation by pulling out all the fatty deposits in our circulatory system with the soluble fiber of the avocado seed. Soluble fiber is very difficult to get in our diet. Oatmeal has some, but it cannot compare with the avocado seed. Any heart disease patient must eat the avocado including the seed. Source

Based on these and other facts, I concluded that adding avocado seed in small proportion can be beneficial for nutritional needs. Also I have noticed that it helps to make a consistency of some smoothies less frothy, as in case with green smoothie that contains apples, cucumbers, or pineapples. I like to add ½ half avocado seed per 32 oz of most of my green smoothies; then it doesn’t affect the taste of smoothie but makes it a little thicker and provides additional nutritional benefits. Here is a sample recipe.

Green Smoothie Sweet and Sour Delight

4 Fuji apples, sliced
2 medium lemons without peel
1 banana, peeled
1 bunch parsley
1 cup spinach
1 stalk celery
Small piece ginger
½ avocado seed "

"Re: eating avocado pit Sat, May 15, 2010 - 5:31 PM
Dear all

You have made a fantastic discovery of this magical seed.

I have used avocado seed as tea alternative for a year. one of the observable positive effect was that it helps me get rid of flu virus faster than expensive medicines. I make my tea by blending the pit and boil it with ginger. a dash of milk will improve its appearance and taste. with this product, I had less worries with swine flu. however, this myth needs bursting with scientific research.

Dr. Kaka"

http://rawandliving.tribe.net/thread/bd5aa44c-4b85-4ab4-a9b3-eb8cd4418df8

Vierailija
Ataraksia

Tätä olen aina ihmetellyt. Tämä sama luettelo annetaan kaikkien lemmikkieläinten kohdalla. Rasvaisuuden tietenkin ymmärrän, lemmikithän toki lihovat helposti kun eivät juuri urheile. Liika suolakaan ei taida hyväksi olla, vaikka pieni määrä onkin elintärkeää. Mutta että mausteista? Mausteitahan ovat sellaiset yleisesti terveellisinä pidetyt kasvit kuin valkosipuli, paprika ja pippuri. Mikä tekee vaikkapa paprikasta yhtäkkiä vaarallista, jos se kuivataan ja ripotellaan jonkin muun ruuan päälle?

Osaisiko joku selittää, onko tässä joku minulta ohi mennyt pointti, vai onko kyse vain siitä, että oletetaan mausteisen ruuan olevan automaattisesti myös suolaista?

Ja ei, "eläimet eivät pidä mausta" ei käy vastaukseksi. Kyllä muuten pitävät.

Vierailija
Mei long
Ataraksia

Tätä olen aina ihmetellyt. Tämä sama luettelo annetaan kaikkien lemmikkieläinten kohdalla. Rasvaisuuden tietenkin ymmärrän, lemmikithän toki lihovat helposti kun eivät juuri urheile. Liika suolakaan ei taida hyväksi olla, vaikka pieni määrä onkin elintärkeää. Mutta että mausteista? Mausteitahan ovat sellaiset yleisesti terveellisinä pidetyt kasvit kuin valkosipuli, paprika ja pippuri. Mikä tekee vaikkapa paprikasta yhtäkkiä vaarallista, jos se kuivataan ja ripotellaan jonkin muun ruuan päälle?

Osaisiko joku selittää, onko tässä joku minulta ohi mennyt pointti, vai onko kyse vain siitä, että oletetaan mausteisen ruuan olevan automaattisesti myös suolaista?

Ja ei, "eläimet eivät pidä mausta" ei käy vastaukseksi. Kyllä muuten pitävät.

Ei tuohon ole mitään tieteellistä vastausta. Se on vaan oletus, koska meidän pikku elukka on niin söpö ja herkkä, että masu menee mausteista sekaisin.
Suola on se pahin tuossa. Ylipaino ei lievänä haittaa pätkääkään. Syöminen on eläinten(kin) suurimpia nautintoja.

Paul M
Seuraa 
Viestejä8560
Liittynyt16.3.2005

No nyt sitten julistetaan siellä sun täällä, jotta avocadon siemen on hedelmän paras osa. Joko pian tulee korjaussarja tähänkin uutisankkaan.

Uusimmat

Suosituimmat